I use an Apple Airport Express as a wireless network bridge for my Slingbox Solo, which I use in conjunction with a Linksys WRT160N as my main router/AP.  Periodically it would disconnect from the network and I would see the following entries in the Airport Express log:

Jun 22 10:30:08    Severity:5    Joined BSS 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 22 10:30:08    Severity:5    Installed unicast CCMP key for authenticator 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 22 10:30:09    Severity:5    Joined BSS 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 22 10:30:09    Severity:5    Installed unicast CCMP key for authenticator 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 22 16:53:46    Severity:5    Disconnected from network.
Jun 22 16:53:49    Severity:5    Joined BSS 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 22 16:53:49    Severity:5    Installed unicast CCMP key for authenticator 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 22 16:53:51    Severity:5    Joined BSS 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 22 16:53:51    Severity:5    Installed unicast CCMP key for authenticator 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 24 03:28:47    Severity:5    Disconnected from network.
Jun 24 03:28:50    Severity:5    Joined BSS 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 24 03:28:50    Severity:5    Installed unicast CCMP key for authenticator 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 24 03:28:52    Severity:5    Joined BSS 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 24 03:28:52    Severity:5    Installed unicast CCMP key for authenticator 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 24 03:38:25    Severity:5    Joined BSS 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 24 03:38:25    Severity:5    Installed unicast CCMP key for authenticator 00:23:69:67:dd:73
Jun 24 11:58:35    Severity:5    Disconnected from network.

This would cause my Slingbox stream to reset and restart on every disconnect.  After Googling around I found a few articles mentioning changing the advanced settings on the Linksys.  Specifically, the Beacon interval, RTS and fragmentation threshold values.  Once I changed them to the values displayed below, my Airport Express has been rock solid with no disconnects.  You want to set these values to:

Beacon Interval: 75 (some say 50 is best, but I use 75 and it works)
Fragmentation Interval: 2304
RTS Interval: 2307

My WLAN uses WPA2 encryption with AES + TKIP as displayed below:

Also my Airport Express is set to use a static IP address on my LAN versus DHCP.

Tagged with:

9 Responses to Apple Airport Express Disconnected from Network – Fixed!

1. Giuseppe Mura says:

God only knows how long I’ve been looking for a solution to this problem! I have tried everything from upgrading and downgrade firmware, switching to different encryption levels, fixed ip vs dhcp. All to no avail. Then I stumbled on your recommendation and as if by magic, my connection has now been up and I’ve been able to watch a movie and listen to the soundtrack with no interruptions!

Btw, I have a Netgear DGN2200 wireless router and a 4 year old Airport Express 802.11g on firmware version 6.3. Wireless config is using WPA2-PSK encryption and DHCP assigned IP.

I’m still not sure why lowering fragmentation and RTS thresholds should work, mind…

2. petrafan says:

hi.
    how do you get to the Cisco modem configurations?

3. JSB says:

I had the same problem here. Everything would work fine for 15-30 minutes, then music would start skipping. Problem happened while streaming music from my itunes library, and was even worst when I would stream music from Slacker.com.

I have a DLINK DIR-655 and Airport Express firmware 7.2. I have applied the changes above in the advanced wireless section and now everything works great. The newtork disconnects stopped showing up in the airport express logs, and the music started streaming without any interruption.

Awesome, thanks for the post!

4. Johan Meintjes says:

Fantastic! Worked great for both my DIR-655 and the Cisco E4200, and Airport Express. Thank you very much! Appreciated!

5. Oystein Larsen says:

It works, thanks !! Now, to the next problem: anyone facing short irritating interruptions when playing from the PC (Using Airfoil and WIMP)? Also the same if I use Itunes, but not so often. From Iphone4, I do not experience these interruptions.

6. CuriousKat says:

Hello,

Could you post your google search or links to where you found this information? I’m interested in finding out why this is working if indeed it does work. I’ve just tried it now and hopefully things will now be stable. You have no idea how frustrating it is to hear, ” I can’t print” everyday because this airport express won’t stay connected to the network.

Thanks a bunch!!

7. Nikolaj says:

Hello all

I have tried your fix with an AEXn from 2010 and an Asus RT-N13U without any luck. I still get the random:

“Disconnected from network”

For me it seems to happen a few minutes after each CCMP key interval. So i cant even use Airply for more than a couple of minutes bore it disconnects.

This does not happen when there is no encryption on the network

8. tml3nr says:

Thank you very much Mike Waldron, i have drop airplay every 10 min AE + DIR-655, after try many settings i see only change Beacon Interval to 50, it’s ok, RTS & Fragmentation i leave default 2346.

Thanks again!

9. tmurrayis says:

This thread is 3 years old and it still managed to help another person struggling with the same disconnect issue.

Thanks.