After a recent reboot I found that my BES Express server was no longer communicating with devices.

My first dilemma was the Blackberry Controller Service wouldn’t start.  I got this in my controller log file:

[20000] (05/16 01:22:56.500):{0x147C} LogReceiver: Failed to bind a socket

That told me that there was a conflict with whatever port the controller was trying to grab.  After a little Googling I found that adding port 4070-4071 to the ReservedPorts TCP/IP registry key would fix this.  The Microsoft DNS service fights with BES for control of ephemeral ports which is a known situation.  Rebooted the computer and found that my devices were updating and the controller service started successfully.  However, my Application Server service kept shutting down every time I would attempt to access it, and could not enter the web administration interface.  I would ultimately get a connection timed out message.  I observed this in my system log:

Error: The BlackBerry Administration Service – Application Server service terminated unexpectedly.
It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

And this in my BBAS logs:

(05/17 19:34:43:369):{main} [org.jboss.system.ServiceController] [WARN] Problem starting service jboss.cache:service=BASObjectVersioningCache
org.jgroups.ChannelException: failed to start protocol stack

I eventually found the fix here at the Blackberry support forums, which is to add an additional range of reserved ports for the Application Service:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
Right-click ReservedPorts, and then click Modify.
Paste the following at the bottom.
48855-48858
45588-45588
49955-49955
45599-45599

Restart the server.

Once you go to the web admin, you will think its not going to work but hang tight, give it a few seconds and you will be surprised!!

Here’s what my ReservedPorts looks like after my two fixes (ignore the first three lines which were already there in my environment):

I don’t know how this person picked these ports (maybe spoke with support?)… but it DID indeed fix the problem for me.

My environment: Windows 2003 Server / Domain Controller / Exchange Server 2003 Standard


After installing BES Express last night, I went to activate my first user and could not get it working.  I tried a “wired” activation using the user web console as well as an “OTA” activation.  The ETA.DAT Blackberry activation e-mail would just sit there in the user’s box and not get picked up.  Also, the OTA activation would just hang at “Activating”.  The wired activation would return a “contact your administrator” text in red when you try to activate that way.

After researching a bit, I ran IEMSTest.exe from the \RIM\BB\Utility\ folder.

It failed with:

BESAdmin: No Send As permission for the {DOMAIN\besadmin} account operator.

Also I received this error in my BBAS-AS Logfile in RIM\BB\Logs after trying to activate a user:

com.rim.bes.bas.besutilityaccess.DeviceActivationJNIException: JBeginActivation::ProvisionUser Provision user failed [sourcefile = c:\ec_build\besxp_5.0.1\6280\bx_adminservice\source\enterprise\bas \server\nativeutil\src\core\main\cpp\basbesutil\src\jbeginactivation.cpp line=286]

I fixed the IEMSTest issue by doing the following:

  1. Implement the Microsoft KB 907434 by applying this script (click to download) to your BES server. Replace YOURDOMAIN with your AD domain (don’t forget to change the extension if you are .net, .local) and replace BESAdminAccountNameHere with your BESAdmin account.  You may need to remove the domain\ from the last line if you are not using a domain account for your BES server as I am.  You have to perform this step as Windows server will reset the permissions you are setting in the following steps automatically without this fix.
  2. Open Active Directory Users & Computers
  3. Enable Advanced Features in AD (View, Advanced Features)
  4. Double-click (open) your BESAdmin user
  5. Security tab
  6. Add the BESAdmin user to the Security tab giving Send As, Receive As – this is in addition to the defaults that were in there.

My IEMSTest.exe works now and I was able to get my users activated over the air.

My environment: Exchange 2003 Standard running on Windows 2003 Server Domain Controller

If this article helped you, please consider donating any amount (even $1 helps!):

 


Tagged with:  
Web Hosting